Curse of the Crimson Throne
With so many people packed so close, Korvosa is a prime hunting ground for many a monster both above and below ground.
- Blood Veil: A virulent plague that has stricken the populace of Korvosa, named for its distinctive red rash.
- Carrion Golem: Carrion golems are made from the partially decayed parts of numerous dead creatures—no two carrion golems are exactly alike in appearance.
- Choker: A hunched-over wretch with long, pliable arms like tentacles capped with five wide, spiny claws. Chokers a common—and unwelcome—sight in the Shingles.
- Derro: A pale blue humanoid with bulging white eyes, wild hair, and four-fingered hands.
- Drain Spider: A dark brown long-legged spider the size of a cat, found most often in Korvosa’s sewers.
- Dream Spider: A child-sized spider with a blue-and-yellow-striped abdomen, it is native to the jungles of the Mwangi Expanse. The dream spider’s venom is a key ingredient in the drug shiver.
- Ghoul: A humanoid creature with long, sharp teeth, and pallid flesh is stretched tightly over its starved frame. Ghouls are undead that haunt graveyards and eat corpses.
- Imp: A diminutive, red-skinned nuisance with fiendish wings and a whipping scorpion-like tail lash. Due to clumsy summonings by Acadamae students, imps are a blight on Korvosa’s skies.
- Jigsaw Shark: Known for their distinctive jagged markings, mottled hide, and fierce temperament, jigsaw sharks can live in both freshwater and salt water. They are a common sight in the waters off Varisia’s southern coast.
- Ogrekin: The result of an unfortunate union between an ogre and a humanoid, the ogrekin (or half-ogre) is cursed with horrific malformations due to its tragic ancestry.
- Orc: a savage, bestial humanoid with green-gray skin and prominent tusks. Orcish raider often spill out of their homeland of Belkzen, though they rarely venture as far south as Korvosa.
- Otyugh: This three-legged freak is mostly mouth. Three tentacles, two tipped with barbs and one with eyes, extend from its sides.
- Pseudodragon: A housecat-sized miniature dragon wicked fine scales, sharp horns, wicked little teeth, and a tail tipped with a barbed stinger. They roost in the Shingles in large numbers, keeping the imp population in check.
- Rakshasa: A shapeshifting fiend whose true form bares backward-bending fingers and a bestial, snarling visage.
- Raktavarna: A shapeshifting construct, its true form is that of a silver snake with red eyes.
- Reefclaw: Blood-red spines run the length of this frightening creature, which resembles a lobster in the front and an eel in the back.
- Soulbound Doll: A small, sentient doll containing a fragment of another creature’s soul, soulbound dolls were created by the Korvosan toymaker Pestico.
- Stirge: This insectoid creature has two pairs of bat wings, a tangle of thin legs, and a needle-sharp proboscis.
- Tunnel Terror: Drain spiders grown to enormous size, they stalk the sewers and vaults below the city, competing with otughs and other monsters for food.
- Vampire Spawn: A feral, blood-sucking mockery of life with none of a proper vampire’s refinement.
- Wererat: A hunched humanoid covered in fur with a rat-like face and a long, naked tail.
- Zombie: A slow, mindless walking corpse with flesh rotting off its bones.